Q. What do I need to consider when grading in my Canvas course?
1. Assignments = Gradebook Columns.
You add columns by adding assignments. They can be no-submission. (There is now a notes column in the gradebook)
2. All assignments must eventually have a grade.
Students with missed assignments should have a 0. In the Gradebook use the “Treat ungraded as 0” option from the gear (drop down menu)
3. All required assignments must specify total points possible.
This is done in the assignment settings and is needed for Canvas to accurately determine the total points possible for the course and, therefore, calculate an accurate total percentage.
4. Unique calculation scenarios are managed in Assignments.
Create assignment groups with grading rules to drop lowest or highest scores. Check the “Weight the final score” box to set up weighting by assignment group.
5. For letter grades, set up a grading scheme.
Go to Settings > Course Details Tab. Click Edit Course Details and check “Enable Course Grading Scheme” followed by “Set Grading Scheme”