Q. Host a WebEx session in Canvas
1. Initiate Your WebEx Account
Before you can add WebEx to your classes in Canvas, you must first visit the WebEx site and log in with your JMU E-ID and password. The WebEx interface will load, and then your account will be ready to use in Canvas. Do this at: at https://jmu.webex.com. If you have trouble with this, visit this brief tutorial.
2. Navigate to Course
Log into Canvas at canvas.jmu.edu and choose a course to add WebEx to.
3. Select WebEx
In your course, select WebEx on the left-hand side. If you cannot see WebEx proceed to step 4. Otherwise skip to step 5.
4. Make WebEx Visible (optional)
Navigate to Settings -> Navigation. Drag WebEx up from the hidden area and click save.
5. Schedule a Session
Under the Event Calendar Tab, select Schedule to begin setting up a WebEx session.
6. Edit WebEx Session Settings
- Create a name for the session.
- Choose if your session will repeat (single, daily, or Weekly).
- The time zone must always be set to "-04:00 America/New York."
- Setup a date, time and duration for the session.
- Select a Conferencing Account for the session. We recommend using WebEx Events for classes as it is similar to a webinar experience, opening with ideal default settings for hosts. As host, you will have to give permission to attendees to speak and share video. We do not recommend you use WebEx Meeting or WebEx Trainings. WebEx Meetings grant all attendees the same meeting controls as hosts. WebEx Trainings is not recommended for classroom use without some experience and training. (Contact us for more information about this.)
- Click Save to finalize the settings for your session.
7. Host the Session
You will see all of your scheduled sessions in a list under the Event Calendar tab. The Host button will appear 15 minutes before the start of your scheduled session. Click on the Host button to begin your session. Note that it may take a few moments for your session to open in WebEx. Follow the steps you will see to install the WebEx application.